Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 3 - Industrial Strength and Jet Propulsion

Today was just what the doctor ordered. I finally caught up on my sleep from the last 2 weeks.

I went to bed by about 9:00 p.m. local time (as you all saw in the last blog, Robert was way ahead of me) and woke up for the first time at 4:45 a.m. It wasn’t all that pleasant however...bad, bad dream. As I was finishing up the final packing at home, several folks at the house were looking at the final picture album that is needed for the interview at the State Department of Adoption (referred to as SDA from here on out). This interview is step one in the process and therefore is very important. I dreamed that the picture album was still sitting on the table in the sunroom in front of my father-in-law as he sat on the couch. And not in one of the bags where it should have been. I woke up in a panic. I got up and did a cursory check of our luggage. I couldn’t find it. I was beating myself up pretty badly for not doing an adequate final walk through of the house to make sure I didn’t forget something. I finally checked the computer and determined there were enough photo’s between the computer and the memory card in the camera where I could get by if I had to. I would just need to call our coordinator at a time other than 5:30 a.m. to see if there was a place to get photos developed in a short period of time. If there wasn’t, I would see if it was acceptable to show them the photo’s using my laptop. I assumed one of those two options would work. So, back to bed I went...we woke up at 11:00 a.m. Nice! 

We showered and ate a little breakfast. A little piece of advice that most people probably have figured out...but I somehow missed...I had not used my travel blow dryer prior to actual travel (I highly recommend it!). If I had used it, said blow dryer would not be here with me now. I’m not all that particular on hair dryers. At least I don’t think I am. Normal process is high until almost all of the water is gone, then low with a round brush to style it. Pretty normal, right ladies? Well...this little blow dryer has industrial strength and jet propulsion. It says low and high. But it’s really not. Not even close. I have a thick head of hair and it normally takes me about 15 minutes to get my hair dry and another 5 to style. 3 minutes today. Yes, 3. Style? No way! And ladies, you know how you flip some over on the top to blow dry it to go the wrong way to get a little height? Yeah, well Robert was laughing hysterically as it literally plastered to my head when I tried to do that...And remember this is all on LOW. And I had the blow dryer as far away from my head as my arm could go and still point back at myself. I think I would have had to have the blow dryer in the next apartment to be able to get the air flow I needed. Enough about the blow dryer, I thought it was hysterical. So did Robert. I guess you had to be there...

Once I was all “prettied up” (HA!), I looked again for the photo album. After tearing everything apart in daylight, I did locate it. I was a good girl and packed it as I intended. Just not where I intended. Did a little email, started to read a book and low and behold, a nap seemed to be in order! Woke up just in time to make a little dinner. Then a quick chat with our coordinator and life is good. We will be picked up at 7:40 a.m. for our appointment at the SDA tomorrow morning. Prayers all goes well please.

2 comments:

Britwife said...

My travel hair dryer is the exact opposite....even on high it's "blow" is the equivalent of a child blowing out birthday candles. Needless to say, I leave it home. :)

knitchick said...

I have one you could have borrowed. It works well, although I haven't used it since England.