Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 12 – Low key day

I can’t believe its day 12 already. The time has been going fast in some ways yet it seems slow in others. We treasure our time with V but I’m ready for the next stage in this process. And I’m ready to get home, I miss my Alex.

Now that the whining is out of the way...we woke to an over-cast day. The sun was trying to peek out but we did not see too much of it today other than a brief glimpse here and there. The wind has shifted once again so we are seeing more of the byproducts of an industrial city.

Our regular driver had to work on his car so his friend picked us up and took us to the orphanage in the morning. We brought V an apple, talked with him using the translator (he had porridge with cheese and bread for breakfast in case you’re interested), played go fish and then he and dad played checkers against the computer. We went back again for our afternoon visit and brought juice and a small sucker. He was excited about both of his treats but of course loved the sucker. V tried to teach us some Russian, we played more checkers and then we broke out the Uno game for a quick couple of games. I think I have yet to win one game of Uno! Our visits are becoming routine, we are getting very comfortable with each other. He is always happy to see us but there are limits as to what we can do when we are there. It’s not good weather to go outside and there is only so much inside stuff you can do. I brought puzzles and several card games but could have used even more. Advice for families coming behind us, bring lots and lots and lots of stuff to do. When you think you have more than enough (like I did), pack 3 more things.

During our Russian lesson, V was cute as can be when we were reviewing family members. He got to У меня есть брат (I have a brother) and he smiled like crazy and said in his adorable accent “Alex”. He is so happy to have a brother. Just wait...V has seen pictures of his grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins on both sides now and can recognize them right away. We have learned the words for grandmother and grand father but I have yet to master aunt and uncle. Man I need help! Foreign language is SO hard for me. So much for being done with the whining!

While we were there this morning, we could hear some of the children playing the piano. Very sweet! We asked V if he knew how to play but he said he did not. Too bad, I wish he did. Another thing he could teach me!

Tonight is a quiet night; plans are to make a salad for dinner, update the blog and watch the Olympics again. The boys in the orphanage have been watching as well. It seems to be a hit. The coverage from EuroSport has been pretty good, no complaints at all!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Been keeping up with all your ramblings, so glad to know you guys are safe and sound. Can't wait to see the three of you home safely!

I'll see what I can do about this learning Russian thing, maybe I can help out a bit. :)