Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 16 – It’s a mother’s prerogative.

Today is Sunday so we are again only allowed our one visit at 10:00 a.m. We checked with V yesterday before we left to make sure he wouldn’t be out walking again. He assured us he would be there waiting for us and he was. He was happy as usual to see his new mum and dad. He smiles from the minute we arrive until the minute we leave. A few days home with us in the real world and I’m sure we’ll see some pouts.

While we were waiting for the security guard to get the key to the reception rooms, we perused the pictures on the wall in the orphanage. There is a wall right outside the reception rooms where about 8-10 large pictures hang. One picture is from a past visit by an important dignitary. It just so happens that this gentleman is now the President of Ukraine. He is originally from this region. As I was looking at another picture, I very quickly recognized V’s best friend M. We asked him if that in fact was M and he said it was; he then pointed to another little boy right behind M to his right and said “V.” We took a picture of the picture just for fun! There are 26 children and 5 teachers in the photo and it was taken on the steps of V’s school. I was able to recognize a few other children from last summer’s hosting program as well, including one special little red-haired girl that we have all been praying for.


We really have not seen many other children in our visits with V. I know they are there, I hear them playing the piano and talking and laughing. I have seen them playing outside only twice. When we come into the orphanage, we are ushered into the reception rooms pretty quickly and someone goes to get V. Occasionally one of V’s friends will pop in to ask him something but they tend to get quickly shooed away by one of the staff. I have been trying to spot some 8-10 year old girls for a friend but haven’t had much luck at all! Sorry K (you can thank me later P)!

Today we colored some more and played a few more games of Go Fish. No checkers today!  The usual apple, juice and small sucker were very happily stuffed into various pockets for later. 

I have received a few emails asking me to post the first pictures of our new son. All of the families were advised early on not to post pictures of their new child/children until they are home safe and sound on US soil. I follow many blogs from other families that are in the process or have already completed the process, some are with AFOI and some are with Frontier Horizon. Some families have posted pictures, some have not. Robert and I decided early on that we will follow David’s advice; we will be in the “have not” category. I promise to post pictures as soon as we get V home safe and sound. (I justified the photo above by telling myself that it was so small that no one can possibly identify anyone. David please send me an email or post a comment if you think I need to remove that photo).

We have been talking about home more and more often.  V loves to look at the photos on my PC and on the memory card in the camera. He can’t seem to get enough of the photos. He says as many English words as he can when he looks at them and if we say something, he will repeat it back. I keep watching for signs that it is sinking in that he will be leaving soon. So far, there really has been nothing at all other than joy and eagerness. I can’t begin to describe his face when he sees pictures of Alex or when he says “Braht Alex” (Brother Alex). That killer smile is just a going! I guess when you’ve been dreaming about this for 3 (or more) years and it’s finally coming true, maybe you don’t think about what you’re leaving behind. Or maybe he is comfortable because he was part of our lives for almost 3 weeks last summer; we are a known entity. Perhaps knowing his best friend is also in the US helps as well. Who knows? Robert tells me I worry too much. Perhaps I do. It’s a mother’s prerogative.

No comments: