Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 33 – Let them eat cake!

V woke up about 7:00 this morning; I had a late night doing some work and was generally unable to sleep so I was still crashed out. Robert got up and started breakfast. Surprisingly, Alex soon followed. He is usually a noon-ish sleeper when given the opportunity. I don’t remember ever sleeping until noon; I just remember having to cut wood. My mother reads this blog so I am expecting a comment with corrections to the above statements will follow shortly (stay tuned!).

V finds it interesting that dad does a lot of the cooking.  Especially while mom sleeps.  This is very unusual in his culture.  The woman of the household does it all.  Literally all.  She is expected to take care of the house and everyone in it.  And work if it's needed.  For me and most other American women, we just think we do it all.  It sure feels like all.  But it's really not... 

Today was the last ‘planned’ task before being able to depart for the US. I will use the term ‘planned’ lightly as this IS an international adoption in case you have forgotten. I know I haven’t! 

We all showered up and relaxed around the flat until our driver arrived about 1:30. After a quick drive to the Embassy, we once again went to the head of the line and were quickly admitted. After a quick check of the passports, a trip through the metal detector and individual wanding, we were told to very quickly go through the courtyard to the other building. That was a new direction, change in guards I guess as there still was a fence around the Embassy and it didn’t appear that there was any imminent threat today versus yesterday. But what do I know? 

Into the other building we went just like yesterday. We quickly met up with the same young man even. I indicated that we were there for the Adoption Department and that I knew where it was (I’m a quick learner you see!). When we arrived, the department was completely empty. The woman behind the counter asked our last name and then immediately produced our file from her left with a big smile. She said a few words to V in Russian, he answered and shyly smiled. Another quick check of our passports and I handed in the form we were given yesterday. She returned all the passports except V’s and told us to sit until a Consular Officer was available. She indicated that once an officer was available, we would be called to window #17. There were a few room dividers at the far end of the little sitting area, kind of behind her if you will (I found out later they were window #16 and #17). After a few minutes, we were called to window #17 where there was another check of our passports and then Robert and I were asked to swear under oath that we had told the truth on all our forms and had not misrepresented any information. No problem there! We were asked to sign the forms (most of the forms tell you not to sign until you are in the presence of a Consulate Officer) and then he needed to finish some computer checks (Yes JT, I have continued to pass all of these required checks, shocker I know!). He took another 5 minutes or so and then we were called back to the original front window. They had V’s VISA in his passport. We were asked to check everything over by our head coordinator; he said there have been errors in the past. We were also given the infamous large (and I mean LARGE) manila envelope with V’s documents and his Immigration Data Summary sheet on the outside along with his photo and a place to stamp his admission into the US. I checked this information over very carefully as well and did find one error. Since V’s name has been changed, he will always have to write his original name as an alias when filling out documents/applications/etc. V’s original middle name was spelled incorrectly on the Immigrant Data Summary in the alias area. I rang the bell again and inquired about the error. I was told since it’s an alias, it doesn’t matter. OK, if you say so. I’m a little uncomfortable with the answer but I figure they should know better than me (remember that trust thing I talked about??). 

That was it; we were done with the massive 9 month paper chase to get (physically get) our new son!! Finally! We tried to get a photo of the four of us outside the Embassy, even though we knew you weren’t supposed to do that. We got busted. The guard was really nice about it but he made us delete the photo. Bummer. But you can’t blame a guy for trying! 

We headed for the flat and then had lunch and celebratory cake. Interestingly enough, we completed the last task on my birthday! Happy 45 glorious years to me, I have been incredibly blessed in my life! The boys kept saying lunch and cake on the drive but it quickly became lunch IS cake. They wish!! When we were at the market yesterday, the head coordinator told us this was the best cake there is. It was pretty yummy!


This afternoon has seen many more wrestling matches between V, Alex and dad. This seems to be a very common activity. Today also saw the first casualty. They were on round 6 or 7 when Alex called for his backup only to be told “V no hey-yelp (help in V English), owuch” as he pulled back his pinky finger. He is a little gun shy now. I’m sure that won’t last very long!

Tonight is another night of relaxing in the flat. The boys are getting tired after yet more wrestling, some with dad and some without. Alex does an amazing job; he wrestles but makes sure he is gentle with V. We’re breaking him in slowly. Dad is holding up really well, he can still take on both boys and emerge victorious. A few more pounds on V combined with a few more gym classes at school for Alex (they’re doing weight lifting now) and I think Dad is going down!

Both boys are tucked in bed under their blankets and winding down with their books. It’s super cute.


And for some STUPID reason, I am watching Storm Chasers on Discovery Channel. You would think I would have had enough of that wouldn’t you?? I mean really, who has a tornado hit your house? I still can’t believe it. And it’s been almost 8 months...Get over it Jan!! At some point, we will tell V why we were late to get him. Just not yet. 

Alex and V are getting bored in the flat and are ready to head for home. As we all are. Unfortunately, we were unable to get flights out until Friday morning. And unfortunately again, none of the coordinators on the ground here in Kiev were available for some sight seeing on Thursday. Several of our other AFOI families are experiencing many, many more trials and tribulations so I will gladly defer my sight seeing to solving their issues.  So we are pretty much flat bound for another day. I think the boys will literally go stir crazy. There is a little market just around the corner from the flat so we will head out tomorrow just for the walk if nothing else. Maybe a few times actually! Perhaps an ice cream bar is in order. A guy (and gal) can only play so many games of Uno and for some reason the Game Boys refuse to be charged here. Not sure what the deal is...all other electronics, hair dryers, curling irons, computers, etc. do fine with the converters. But no, not the Game Boys. It’s going to be a long haul home for boys with no games! Tee hee hee...

One last note.  As I mentioned above, several other families are really having a tough (and long!) go of it.  If I recall correctly, both of these families arrived before we did on our trip one and they are not yet anywhere near being able to head home with their children.  Neither has had court yet even.  Please pray for these families that the Lord brings them strength, energy, patience and peace.  And pray for their children that they feel the love of their new families every day and remain healthy, happy and safe as they wait out the process.  Much appreciated!






























4 comments:

knitchick said...

As requested:
1-I'm sure that sometimes you slept until noon, especially when you had mono.
2-I don't think you ever CUT wood. You may have occasionally helped by CARRYING or STACKING wood--very occasionally.
3-I can't believe that's the main thing you remember about your childhood...

Get home safe...

knitchick said...

Almost forgot--Happy Birthday! 45 yeas ago today in the Twin Cities, a huge snowstorm began that lasted for three days and was followed by record flooding on the St Croix River in Stillwater.

JLBriesemeister said...

Britwife, why are the comments showing over the blog??

Britwife said...

I don't see what you are seeing...the comments appear to be in their usual place.
Your mom is too funny. :)
Happy Birthday!! How appropriate that your journey is completed on your birthday! What a cause for celebration! XXOO