Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1 Update

My how time flies.  I know that's such a silly thing to say...but where does the time go?

We have celebrated our second birthday with Viktor in August and in September we hit the 18 month mark.  It has gone by so fast.

In July, Viktor spent 2 weeks at the Russian language immersion camp at Concordia Language Villages in Bemidji, MN. It was the first time he has attended; it's always been the plan but last year was too soon.  I missed him terribly but it was important for him to go.  We are very consciously trying to retain his native language.  His Russian came flooding back immediately and he really enjoyed the time he spent there with the counselors and the other kids.  So many of the kids there were adopted as well so for the first time in a long time, he was just like every body else.  He met kids from all over the country and they are now all connected via his Facebook.  He said the Russian food was amazing and he ate and ate and ate.  He actually forgot some of his English while he was away!  Viktor has invited a friend from his orphanage who was adopted in California to attend next summer with him.  I am hoping this works out, they will have a great time.  These 2 boys share a special bond and I am hoping they continue that through the years.

August brought Viktor's 14th birthday.  The extended family joined us at Moscow on the Hill for a great dinner.  Everyone tried a few new things again this year and Viktor got to order his favorites.  He was very blessed again this year.  He asked for money for a newer iPod and his grandparents and aunt and uncles really came through.  Including what he got from his brother and us, he got just about enough.  He did have to work off about $10 however.  He was one happy guy!

School started in September and he is progressing nicely in 8th grade.  I still wonder if I should have held him back one year to give him time to learn the language.  I really should stop thinking about that since I didn't...I can't exactly change that at this point.  He is still VERY challenged in Math but seems to be OK in other subjects.  One of my dearest friends kept telling assuring me that they do catch up, and she should know! (Thanks Kelly!)  I did trade a few emails with his ESL teacher this week as the accommodations he should be given don't seem to be in place.  I reminded Viktor this week that he could use his book on his tests and that he gets extra time.  I was promptly told that this is not being allowed.  I still have his IEP (Individual Education Plan) and it is CLEARLY stated and signed by both the school district as well as Robert and I.  So, a little adjustment is needed.  Momma bear is on it...I am amazed at how quickly he has come up to speed.  Identifying the states seem to be a bit more challenging  but gee, I wonder why!  He did make a comment the other day stating that he wished he was born to us so that he knew the same things as all the other kids.  I promptly reminded him that they didn't know a darn thing about Ukraine, Ukrainian culture, or Russian language.  We keep reminding him that his background is an ASSET.  Not a hindrance.

Having said all that, he has made incredible progress.  It is obvious in school as well as at home.  He works almost independently now.  He still likes us to be there and sit in the chair at the table with him.  But now he'll start his homework, get to the point where he needs help and then ask for help.  Last year he couldn't do one thing without help.  He is more confident but it is still very challenging for him.

I think the biggest progress has come in the relationship between Alex and Viktor.  They say the first year is one of transition, the second one is the year of settling in.  Totally agree!  We are settling in.  In so many ways, we have settled in.  The boys still get on each other's nerves here and there but there is a level of respect now that has crept in.  There is a level of protectionism that has also crept in.  And there is a level of patience that has also crept in.  I am so very proud of our Alex.  This hasn't been an easy transition from only child with 100% of the attention to temporarily last man on the totem pole.  Viktor needed so much of our energy that first year that Alex got short changed.  We knew it was happening and we tried hard to make sure we minimized it but it certainly did happen.  More than we like to admit.

I can't believe it is October already.  As I look outside at the changing leaves, I reflect on the changes inside.  Inside this house, inside of Viktor, inside of Alex, inside of Robert and I.  We are one blessed family!  And may God bless you on this beautiful Saturday as well!

No comments: