Saturday, June 4, 2011

God, I am so lucky!

These 5 wonderful yet simple words flowed from the mouth of my Viktor the night before last.  I was putting him to bed (yes, still a nightly ritual at 13 years old that I wouldn't miss for anything!).  He was laying in his bed (which he says is his favorite thing about America by the way), arms behind his head, gentle breeze blowing in the window and his favorite dog snuggled up beside him..."God, I am so lucky!" he says.  Yes Viktor, you are.  We are all very lucky.  And incredibly blessed.

Little did I know exactly how lucky.  And how blessed.  After I said goodnight, I hopped on the computer and checked out a few of the blogs I follow (sorry, have been rather remiss lately!).  I landed on "Beauty from the Ashes" fairly quickly.  And found out just how lucky the Briesemeister's are.  Karen had the 2010 adoption statistics for Ukraine, the link is Beauty From the Ashes.  I have copied the data below.



Here are the numbers.....




Adoptions in Ukraine by Foreign Families by Region
Total ChildrenUnder 11-2 yrs3-5 yrs6-10 yrs11-17 yrs
Crimea70211113313
Vinitsa22022126
Volyn000000
Dnipropetrovsk86212134316
Donetsk187148466626
Zhitomer31036184
Zakarpatia1702690
Zaprozhzha101419174021
Іvano-Frankivsk000000
Кyiv10239214821
Kirovograd5649121813
Lugansk94615123328
Lviv802240
Mikolaev4401312154
Odessa108423253620
Poltava2937784
Rivne402200
Sumy31072418
Ternopil400040
Kharkiv542813283
Kherson1624262
Khmelnytski23111461
Cherkasy29136127
Chernivtsi601221
Chernigiv3911110116
Kyiv city27135711
Sevastopol city1413424
Total adoptions:120238228242465229






Adoptions in Ukraine  by Ukrainian families
Total ChildrenUnder 11-2 yrs3-5 yrs6-10 yrs11-17 yrs
Crimea145554233123
Vinitsa6422171672
Volyn4519101042
Dnipropetrovsk200955238105
Donetsk2791337844177
Zhitomer5218191311
Zakarpatia7726172473
Zaprozhzha11160281364
Іvano-Frankivsk2495442
Кyiv118472623193
Kirovograd8433241782
Lugansk16387412591
Lviv6230101390
Mikolaev521820851
Odessa14359482754
Poltava6828152050
Rivne5011151770
Sumy381616510
Ternopil2045650
Kharkiv10558301340
Kherson7936211291
Khmelnestsky27913410
Cherkasy573313641
Chernivtsi2359531
Chernigiv451418832
Kiev city7840159104
Sevastopol city38197741
Total adoptions:224798461442017950

In Viktor's age group, only 279 children were adopted in 2010.  Period.  279!  From his region (Donetsk), 26+7 = 33.  That's it!  He is one of only 33 adorable 11-17 year old children from Donetsk to find his Forever Family.  Indeed, how lucky he is!  Indeed, how lucky we all are!

No comments: